Irish Rail Smart Card
Online Top Ups Ceasing
Iarnrod Eireann Irish Rail would like to advise Customers that on-line top up on our interim Smart Card scheme will not be available on-line after the 31st March, 2014.
Please note that you can top-up at Ticket Vending Machines at stations until, July, 2014. The interim Smart Card scheme will be phased out by July, 2014, you can make the switch to Leap by clicking here.
What is Smart Card?
The Smart Card is used to store travel credit that is deducted as you travel by rail within the Short Hop Zone as far as Balbriggan, Maynooth, Kilcoole and Hazelhatch.
Why should I switch to Smart Card?
· Faster – no more queuing for tickets as you can pay in advance
· Easier –they are reusable – it can be topped up when you need to
· Cheaper – fares are cheaper than regular single cash fares
· Safer – the balance can be protected once Smart Card is registered
·Adult E-Purse -E-Purse works in a similar way to mobile phone credit. Everytime you tag on and tag off the cost of the journey is deducted from your card.
· Schoolchild & Scholar –The Schoolchild (Under 16) and Scholar (16-18) cards offer children travelling by rail to school discounted fares.
· These products can be topped by via a ticket vending machine in your station or online.
Back to top